This site is provided by the Office of National Assessments (ONA) through an external hosting provider. When visiting this site, a record of your visit to ONA is logged. This information is recorded for statistical purposes and is used to help improve the site's relevance and performance. Recording usage patterns helps us to identify areas of our site that are popular and those that are not. Your browser provides the following information:
- the type of browser and operating system used;
- the previous site that you visited;
- your server's IP address (ie. a number unique to the computer through which you are connected to the Internet);
- the date and time of your visit;
- the length of time spent at the site; and
- the pages accessed and the documents downloaded.
No attempt is made to identify the user or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the Internet web server logs.
Collection of personal information
When you e-mail us:
- we will record your e-mail address;
- we will only use your e-mail address for the purpose for which you have provided it;
- we will not add your e-mail address to a mailing list, unless you have specifically requested this;
- we will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose; and
- we will not disclose it without your consent, except where authorised or required by law.
Other personal information collected by us, such as through the use of an online form, will only be:
- collected by lawful and fair means;
- used for a lawful purpose;
- collected with your consent; and
- the purpose for collection should be clear and explicit.
Where you choose to send us a completed online form that includes your personal details, we may collect personally identifiable information, such as name, physical address and e-mail address. Personal information collected by the department is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth of Australia).
Disclosure of information
We will not use your personal information for any purpose other than the purpose for which you provided it, and we will not disclose it to any other person or organisation unless:
- we are required by law to do so; or
- there are reasonable grounds to believe that disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life or health; or
- you have given us consent to do so.
Security of information
Your personal information is protected by law. These laws prohibit any person from accessing, using or disclosing any personal information except in the performance of their duties or in specific circumstances permitted by these laws. There are severe penalties for breaking these provisions.
While we provide a secure and reliable system, this site does not provide facilities for the secure transmission of information across the Internet. Users should be aware that there are inherent risks associated with the transmission of information across the Internet. For those who do not wish to use the Internet, the department provides alternative ways to obtain and provide information, such as by telephone facsimile or post.
External sites that are linked to or from the department's site are not under our control and you are advised to review their privacy and security statements.
Need further information?
You can obtain further information on privacy and personal information from the Privacy Commissioner's website http://www.privacy.gov.au/, or through direct contact with the Privacy Commissioner's Office.