Canberra, the nation's capital is a thriving city full of fantastic experiences, attractions and surrounds. The history and culture of Canberra is reflected in national icons including the National Museum and Galleries, Australian War Memorial and Parliament House.
With a population of 346 000, Canberra boasts all the benefits of city living while maintaining a relaxed country lifestyle. You will enjoy an exciting nightlife, stylish cafes and restaurants, great shopping and a calendar full of events.
Located in a prime position, Canberra is only 3 hours drive from Sydney, 2.5 hours drive from the snowfields and only 2 hours drive from some of our best beaches.
Someone once said, 'Canberra is just full of hot air' - and it is! Watching our colourful balloons dancing across Lake Burley Griffin in autumn truly is one of life's magic moments. And speaking of autumn, Canberra is one of the few places in Australia where you really can enjoy four distinct seasons with buckets of sunshine all year round.
You can expect warm to hot summers, clear, crisp winters, spectacular springs and balmy colourful autumns. Fact: Canberra enjoys more hours of sunshine than Sydney or the Gold Coast.
Average maximum temperatures
Summer (December-February) - 27 degrees
Autumn (March-May) - 20 degrees
Winter (June-August) - 12 degrees
Spring (September-November) - 19 degrees
ACT school holidays
In Australia, the school year begins in late January/early February, with short breaks in April, July and September. The school year finishes just before Christmas, with the long school holidays over the Australian summer in December and January.
- Population: 346,000
- Median age: 34 years
- Average commute time to work: 15-20 minutes
- Driving time to Sydney: 3 hours
- Driving time to NSW coast: 2 hours
- Driving time to NSW ski fields: 2.5 hours
- Unemployment rate: around 3.0% (5.8% nationally)
Want to know more?
- The ACT Government's Live in Canberra website is a great source of information and the team can help you with advice on settlement, employment, housing and lifestyle.
- Australian Capital Tourism's Visit Canberra website has all the info on where to go and what to see and do in the capital.
- The Brumbies Rugby and Raiders.com.au websites have all the info on memberships and 2013 seasons.
- The Netball ACT website has info about playing netball in the ACT.
- The Canberra Capitals website has information about their upcoming fixtures.
- The National Capital Authority's website is also a great source of information.